Books are a fun way to introduce the kids to the five senses! A fun printable senses activity for kids, as well as recommended sensory books for kids.
I love picture books you can sing to your children, and Ashley Bryan’s illustration of What a Wonderful World is a favorite in our home.
I love the way this song focuses on being present in the moment in the world. The illustrated book makes the perfect introduction to exploring the five senses with children.
I created a simple five senses walk printable to go along with the book. I love all of the different things my kindergartner found on our walk:
More Picture Books for Exploring the Five Senses with Books
Picture books are by their nature multi-sensory! Children feel the pages, see the pictures, and hear the words being read. Here are some favorite sensory books we love:
Storybook science is one of my favorite kids’ activities series on the internet, and this is my third year participating (first year on this site)! Click on the image above to see all the posts this year. Here are some of the activities we enjoyed as part of this series last year:
- Exploring the Way Things Work inspired by The New Way Things Work
- Design Challenge for Kids: The Three Little Pigs inspired by The Three Little Pigs: An Architectural Tale
- Moon Activity for Kids inspired by Kitten’s First Full Moon
- Gardening Fun for Kids inspired by The Curious Garden
- Why do fruit and vegetables get soft when cooked? inspired by Pretend Soup
- Simple Ways Children Can Help with Conservation inspired by Over in the Meadow
- What Makes a Musical Note Higher or Lower? inspired by The Way Things Work Now
- Fun Ways for Kids to Explore the Science of Flight inspired by The Story of Flight
Do you have a favorite book that gets kids thinking about exploring the world using their different senses? Please share on my Facebook page!